The Michelin X-Ice North 4 (XIN4) is a premium touring passenger and minivan tire that guarantee an improved safety on winter roads under extremely harsh driving conditions. It features new technology, enhanced compound, directional tread, effective braking and stable handling on snow and ice with high durability as well as acoustic comfort.
North 4 was introduced to replace the Michelin X-Ice North 3 with well-fortified compound made of Nordic compounding that provides flexibility in cold temperatures and remains stable in moderate temperatures. You will get to know more about this X-Ice North in this Michelin X-Ice North 4 review.
X-Ice North 4 (XIN4) – is a stud-able tire created to improve safety on winter roads and the harshest driving conditions. They are characterized by effective braking and stable handling on snow, ice as well as acoustic comfort.
X-Ice 4 North comes with factory-equipped studs and will be available in 30 sizes ranging from 15-20’ rim diameters with a speed index of T. The tire is slated to be available for consumers in September 2020.
X-Ice N4 comes with a special winter flex compound that is formulated to maintain its grip under extreme cold weather conditions including snow and ice. It delivers shorter stopping distances than the leading competitors’.
The X-Ice North 4 is built for ice braking and handling as well as low noise and ride comfort – an aspect not typically found with studded tires.
X-Ice North 4’s compound is made with the company’s Nordic compounding that provides flexibility in cold and remains stable in moderate temperatures.
Michelin Comfort Control Technology (CCT) helps to deliver one of the most comfortable rides in the industry by using computer-optimized design and precision manufactured to offer greatly reduced vibration and road noise.
Compared to its predecessor, the tire’s noise reduction is enhanced by the configuration of its triangular studs instead of flat studs placed strategically using an algorithm for greater traction.
The tire also features various-shaped tread blocks that differ in length and width to enhance greater ride comfort.
- The X-Ice 4 North comes with factory-equipped studs available in 30 sizes ranging from 15-20-in. rim diameters with a speed index of T.
- The tire’s directional tread pattern features a V-shaped design which supports the evacuation of snow and ice from the tread.
- The cross Z-sipes uses specially designed curve that locks the sipes thereby providing improved grip on snow and ice.
- Its full-depth facilitates better grip in all wintry conditions.
- It comes with wide grooves that aid water and slush evacuation.
- Its Ice-contact 3 improved grip on ice, reduction of road wear, increase in acoustic comfort, and prevention of stud loss.
- It has a notched interlocking sipes on the tread blocks, which give the blocks greater stability and the tire more biting edges for lasting grip in winter conditions.
- Good dry performance.
- Good on snow, ice and slush
- Great mileage
- Affordable price
- Quiet and smooth in cold weather condition
- Good grip on icy condition
- Short braking distance
- Average rolling resistance and noise level.
- Relatively poor on wet terrain
- May loose stud too early
- Weak aquaplaning resistance
- Contact 3-rubber-coated studs may turn unreliable
It comes with a 36,000 mile tread-life warranty in addition to Michelin’s standard manufacturer’s limited warranty which covers defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the original usable tread or 6 years from date of purchase, whichever comes first.
185/65 R15 92T
195/60 R15 92T
195/65 R15 95T
205/60 R15 95T
195/60 R16 93T
205/55 R16 94T
205/60 R16 96T
205/65 R16 99T
215/55 R16 97T
215/60 R16 99T
215/65 R16 102T
225/55 R16 99T
225/60 R16 102T
205/50 R17 93T
205/55 R17 95T
215/55 R17 98T
215/65 R17 103T
225/45 R17 94T
225/50 R17 98T
225/55 R17 101T
235/50 R17 100T
235/55 R17 103T
245/45 R17 99T
225/45 R18 95T
235/45 R18 98T
235/50 R18 101T
245/40 R18 97T
245/45 R18 100T
245/50 R18 104T
255/40 R18 99T
255/45 R18 103T
235/45 R19 99H
245/45 R19 102H
255/40 R19 100H
265/40 R19 102H
Compared to its predecessor, North 4 comes with low noise and enhanced traction courtesy of its triangular studs. The tire also features various-shaped tread blocks that differ in length and width to enhance greater ride comfort.
It is affordable, has good mileage with good handling. However, its weak aquaplaning resistance and unreliable contact 3-rubber-coated studs may turn away most buyers despite the pocket-friendly price.
We hope we have given some helpful tips in our Michelin X-Ice North 4 review that can aid your decision-making. If you have any question, comment or review of this tire kindly leave it in the box below, we will be glad to hear from you.